Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LL in Seattle

On Monday work sent me (and note that me is Laura Lee, not Clay) to Seattle to help train some other designers in our new corporate brand. It was a fun to play “important traveling-for-work-girl”, and even though I was only there for one night I did manage to see a couple of interesting Seattle sights while out and about.

I landed around lunch time and went straight to the EY office, which is right downtown. And even though I was technically supposed to be working I spent a lot of the afternoon gawking out the window at their amazing views. From the EY office on the 35th floor you could see the huge football stadium and also sweeping views of the “sound” as they call that big river/ocean thing. Very pretty.


After work I went to check in at the W hotel, which I must say was pretty swank. The lobby was like a night club, with fancy blue lighting, thump thump music, etc. I didn’t take any photos so that I could maintain my “I’m important and stay here all of the time” disguise, although I’m pretty sure that the girl in the elevator was on to me when I couldn’t get the buttons to work. Elevators can be tricky! Anyway, my room was great and had a nice view of the downtown buildings. And it turns out it was a magic window because when I woke up the next morning there was a new view…this time a huge mountain. Apparently it is Mt. Rainier, a gigantic mountain that is always there but you can only see it some of the time because of the clouds and rain.

So Tuesday morning after I woke up early and admired my new mountain view I headed over to the fish market. I by-passed 8 Starbucks along the way so that I could have the pleasure of buying my mocha frappachino at THE original Starbucks. Where, btw, the girl behind the counter was from Texas and Willie music was playing. Not your typical Seattle grunge, but it was Willie so who’s complaining.

Here I am enjoying my authentic Starbucks, admiring the view of the Puget Sound.


Back at the EY office, our trainings went really well, and then after work I had about an hour to kill before heading for the airport. After taking an informal poll on what to do I decided to check out the library, which was close by and apparently very cool. So off I went, but when I got there I realized that I didn’t really know what I was looking for, other than just general library “coolness”. I decided to give the elevator a try (this one was slightly more cooperative than the one at the Dubya). When I got into the elevator I hit the 4th floor button, which was labeled the "Red Floor". So here is a photo:


Ahhh...they meant a red Floor, not just a red floor. Fun.

This last photo is just a random window display that I thought was cool. And I'm including it because it's probably the only one of my photos that you couldn't find a better version of it on Wikipedia..



So that's Seattle for you!

1 comment:

  1. About time someone else started blogging around here! ;-)

    I love the picture of Mt Rainier.

    ReplyDelete